[theora] NHW Project - quality improvement for -l4,-l5 settings
Raphael Canut
2018-04-16 19:39:42 UTC
Hello,

I have improved quality for -l4 and -l5 high compression settings.These
settings are now really better and very competitive, I now prefer them
compared to x265 (HEVC).

Update at: http://nhwcodec.blogspot.com/

I am also working on -l6 quality setting, I can simply increase
quantization for it but I am not totally satisfied with this solution for
now... Looking for more advanced processing at these compression ratios,
like an efficient denoising, as do HEVC, AOM AV1,...

Cheers,
Raphael
Raphael Canut
2018-04-17 17:42:23 UTC
Hello,

Yes, for -l4 and -l5 high compression settings I have saved a lot of bits
on UV chroma planes, more than the other codecs I think... But I still find
that saving on UV chroma planes and giving these bits to Y luma plane is
still more efficient visually... According to my tests, eyes (at least
mine) are a lot more sensitive to Y luma plane than UV chroma planes.

With this processing, I find that now the -l4, -l5 high compression
settings of the NHW Project are better than x265 (HEVC)!

What would you think of this increased compression of UV chroma planes?

Cheers,
Raphael